Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Story of My Life 2013



As a final goodbye to 2013, I sit here in my first WDW half marathon shirt and wonder what 2014 will bring me in the coming year.
Last year at this time I was positive that 2013 would be a awesome year and that I was going to make it life changing and that it was! This year was a rollercoaster of emotions. Some higher than a mountain and some lower that deepest sea. God surely gave me obstacles that I never thought I would overcome, things to work on, and things to be grateful for including a new life!

I appreciate EVERY moment I had this year including even my lowest moment when I could not walk 2 feet after my emergency surgery after running 6 miles 2 days before. I never cried so hard wondering what the future had in store for me. You see I am a planner. I like to know what it coming next and feel secure but at that moment, nothing was promised to me and I had to fight. It was me, myself, and I that had to fight for my future and being positive and settings goals for myself was the only way I knew how to start paving my way and regain my life back. The diagnoses of Chrohn's is life altering and many times I find myself asking "Why me?". It has brought me to tears while running alone on a treadmill on my worst days and happy tears when I accomplish something no one thought I could do.

When I cross the finish line of a race I always cry happy tears. Some taking my breath away more than others. Those tears mean different things to me every time not only because I finished the race but because I earn that medal after every new road I travel on.

For some of you that don't know, when I ran through that finish line chute of the Disneyland Half in August it was exactly 16 weeks and to the minute that I was rushed into emergency surgery, which was my darkest moment, on that day it all changed. That day was a new beginning for me because I did not cry... I gave a big thumbs up as I crossed that finish line, laughed and smiled so big! It may be one of my proudest moments because I set out on a journey and "I" achieved it whole-heartily. I did it with friends taking care of me and asking me if  I was ok and the answer was "I feel great!" and I did.. I never felt better and it felt like a piece of me that had missing in my running puzzle was finally found.

My last half marathon was at Wine and Dine a few months ago, another milestone for me that not only made me scared but excited to do. I have always had my running girlfriend with me by my side. She keeps me in line when I am struggling and laughs with me along the way creating moments of a lifetime, but this time I was gong in solo. 13 miles of me, my iPod, and the road. It was different but with the support of texts and tweets from friends around the country while I was running I kept happy and going. That night as I came around the corner I saw the finish line lights. I kicked it into gear and sprinted like I never had before. I don't know what was in me at that moment but I as I crossed the finish line solo I yelled out a big "YES!" I proceeded to stop, laugh, cry, and then hyperventilate from excitement. My time may have been someone else's slow... but this was MY race and not anyone else's! With a half marathon Disney PR, I kicked Chrohn's ass and every other fear I had in me right in the face that night! Why? because I am a fighter, I am persistent, and yes I am a dreamer. Like Walt Disney said, "If you can dream it, you can do it!"

DO NOT tell me I can not do something.. I will prove you wrong and DO NOT tell me that Chrohn's will win over me... I will find a way!

As 2013 comes to a close I would like to thank EVERY person that has been a part of the rollercoaster ride that has brought me to where I am today. Without the support of my real family and my running family I could not have done it. I have laughed with all of you and cried with others. The friendships that I have made this year are priceless!! Not a day goes by without thinking of some of you. You all played a special part of each and every memory I had this year!

Here is a video of 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qw_uYHEtC4

(there is music so turn your volume down)




I hope you smile and laugh as I did watching the video of my best and a few worst memories of 2013. If you know me, you will know that Bon Jovi is my favorite band not only because Jon is really my secret husband, or because they are from NJ (lol) but because they always seem to find the right song to fit me and this one fits again!

Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

May 2014 be a fabulous year for each and every one of us.
May it bring you PR's
May it bring you SMILES
May it bring you friendships that last a lifetime
May it bring you prosperity
and May it bring you love like you never dreamed of before


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment